It took a long time, but I can look back and realize that I did learn quite a bit in school – but not all of it was positive.
School for me went in different levels.
- Elementary school/middle school: From what I can remember, it wasn’t awful. But I honestly have very foggy memories.
- High school: This is basically grades 9-12, and I honestly hated it. I never wanted to go to school (and only had like two absences) and was bullied. I can’t imagine living during these days with social media and the internet in regard to bullying. It would have made things way worse. I was happy when graduation day came.
- First college: I took a little time off and then went to the local college and it took me five semesters to get an associate’s degree. I then took five years off.
- Undergraduate: This is where I learned to love education. I liked my professors. I had a work-study job with the public relations department. I enjoyed my classes and I loved the area I was in. I figured out how to study, how to pay attention, and what education meant.
- Graduate: I enjoyed college so much, I went and earned my master’s degree the following year. It was something I truly enjoyed.
- Teaching: I’ve also had the chance to be an adjunct teacher. This has allowed me to see the other end of things and see what people go through not only to learn, but what it takes to help people learn. This is a very rewarding experience and I hope to do it again in the future.
It took me a long time to learn when it came to school. I would rather forget everything about high school, to be honest. But I’d go back to college without thinking twice. It was when I honestly learned about many things, including life, and made me realize that learning could be fun.
In the current days, learning is so amazing if you go to the right place. There are classes schools offer now that I would have loved to have been able to do back when. I might have enjoyed high school more if I was challenged more than just the traditional ways.
How about you? What did you learn?
This post is part of the 2018 20 Days of Chill Writing Challenge hosted by A ‘lil HooHaa. Please check out the link if you’d like to see others or join in. You don’t have to do every theme if you don’t want! And for those participating, take a moment and check out the other participants! This is also part of the 2018 HooHaa Blogging Challenge.