(backdating to July 5. My webhost blew it big time — I’ve been down 2+ days. This post was written and ready… so not losing my streak because of them. I’ll have more detail in another post… this was before I got back up)
That’s about the one word I can use to express my thoughts over the website issues I’ve had the past couple of days.
Look, I fully understand things happen. Apparently, what happened with the company that hosts my website is a massive failure of something. I don’t truly understand techspeak that well, so I’m not exactly sure.
But at some point Tuesday, my site went down.
This is what was posted on their blog at 11:13 Tuesday:
Our hardware SAN in our cloud environment has failed unexpectedly. Replacement hardware has been emergency rush ordered from the vendor to replace this, however the current ETA is next day delivery at best. We are working on alternative solutions in the mean time to restore services. I apologize about the downtime you are experiencing.
I don’t understand what all that is, but the reality is … it’s something not good. That I get. I also realize things happen with technology.
I think what bothers me is the updates kept saying that they’ll be working to make sure our websites were up before the next day. And with a series of updates, it seems they were working that way.
At 12:29, it was posted that a temporary solution was going to be put in place – details to follow.
At 13:09, this was posted:
DNS modifications have been made and we are waiting for registration and propagation time. Domains will be resolving normally shortly.
A little more than an hour later, they posted they were waiting for DNS propagation. And that they’d update in an hour – which they did.
In that update, they said they did an emergency change to the Nameserver and customer’s domains should be resolving now or in the near future, as it clears a local ISP.
It never has seemed to work for me.
On the plus side, the new hardware is going to be arriving by noon on Wednesday, according to this update. Maybe sometime in the afternoon – after more than 24 hours down (tell me if we’ve heard this story before) – my site might actually be back up.
At 18:05, an update was posted saying things are still propagating and users should continue to have sites come up as DNS cache clears. They are spot checking some individual issues, apparently, to resolve things manually.
They said all pages will be available after the full hardware restore, but most should be back well before then (apparently mine isn’t one of them).
The last update came at 23:40 on July 5. Guess what? The DNS is still propagating and it will take some time for it to complete. New information will follow as soon as possible …
There have been a few updates, since. For one, they missed the noon deadline because severe weather apparently slowed the delivery, so they didn’t get going until like 1:40. Well, that’s when it arrived and it had to go through security and all that.
Note: My site(s) apparently weren’t on the ones that propagated as it’s still down. I don’t know if any other sites are actually up as I saw the twitter account for the company responded to a few people about things – and those sites were down.
This is well over 24 hours, though.
As I noted, I understand things happen. It’s technology. Nothing is perfect. Hardware failures happen. But for a company that promises 99.9 percent uptime, there have been numerous times something has happened that has caused my site to be down for an extended period of time. One of these days, I’m going to go through my past e-mails and see all the downtime I’ve experienced (Through WordPress, I get updates if my site is up or down).
I like what I get from this web host. I like the prices. And I’ve been with them forever and very loyal. But sometimes I wonder if it’s time to move on. I know I’ve said it before and then I stick it out. There’s the loyal customer in me. But apologies can only go so far. They need to start upping things a little more. For me, it’s a personal blog and isn’t income. But I imagine there are people who make money off their websites and this might adversely affect them.
Hopefully, I’ll get to post this before my site is fully down on July 6. We’ll see, of course.
There have to be plans in place for things if they happen. You can’t have your main business be down for more than 24 hours. If I was a company that relied on my website and this happened, I’d be leaving as soon as the site was back up and I could access everything. I wouldn’t even think twice because this could cost a company serious money.
I have looked around for a new host, though. It appears everything is pretty simple to move my WordPress blog to another host. Then I’d have until the end of my current deal with the current host to get anything else from other websites off the servers and call it good.
Feel free to leave a comment, or e-mail P.J. at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, please Like HooHaa Blog on Facebook!